We have converted our organic orchards' employee housing to a hostel/lodge, looking for ways to welcome hostelers. We also welcome work/rent exchange to help us on our farm, ranch, and hostel.
Our facility is located on South Point Road, Hawaii Island, between the Ka'u Forest Reserve/Hawaii Volcanoes National Park - Kahuku Entrance and South Point/Green Sands Olivine Beach.
To get there from either Hilo or Kona drive South down the only main highway #11 to the South Point Road (between the 69 and 70 mile markers in Ka?u). Go towards the ocean 1.4 miles and on the right side you?ll see our sign ?South Point Hostel?, multiple cabins, and a main 3 story home.
South Point area is famous for;
1. Original landing for the 700 and 1,200 AD landings of the original Polynesian settlers (original hand hewn in rock canoe moorings),
2. Green Sands Beach made from natural olivine crystals,
3. many interesting features between canoe moorings and Green Sands Beach,
4. white sand and lava rock beaches,
5. Ka?u Forest Reserve,
6. Hawaii Volcanoes National Park ? Kahuku Entrance (between the 70 and 71 mile markers in Ka?u). (open 1 day per month pending more volunteers),
7. fishing (continue to the end of South Point Road about 10.6 miles from Hostel),
8. Diving for lobsters and crabs
Nearby about 14 to 15 miles East (highway 11 towards Hilo) is the Punalu?u Black Sand Beach famous for its nesting turtles and medicinal Noni. About 40 miles East (highway 11 towards Hilo) is the main entrance to Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. About 15 miles North West (highway 11 towards Kona) is the world?s largest macadamia nut orchard called Mac Farms of Hawaii. About 2 ½ miles away are both the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park?s new Kahuku Entrance, only open 1 day per month and the Hawaii State Kau Forest Reserve.
Our place is really for people interested in hiking, fishing, swimming, organic farming etc., in a rural environment with community dining, cooking and bathroom facilities. For example a guest can cook the Pacific Ocean fish he just caught at the end of South Point Road or a guest can eat oranges, tangerines, and tangeloes fresh from our trees.
Physically our facility has 8 cabins ranging in size from 8 X 10 to 20 X 20 and a 3 story home with 3 communal kitchens with dining, cooking, and bathing facilities on the first floor. The upper two floors were my foreman's quarters with 2 bedrooms on the top and a private bath and kitchen with a dining/living room, which later will be rented also.